Celebrate the Worlds No. 1 Storyteller Today
September 13th is Roald Dahl Day!
Who is Roald Dahl?
Roald Dahl is the author of countless children’s books including classics such as:
• Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
• James and the Giant Peach
• Fantastic Mr. Fox
• and many, many more!
Every year, children around the world celebrate the magical characters he brought to life on his birthday, September 13th. Throwing a Roald Dahl Day celebration is quite easy, it simply requires a little imagination….
First things first, you have to wear something YELLOW… since it was Dahl’s absolutely most favorite color in the world (extra peculiar points if you wear something inside out!) And secondly, you absolutely MUST be silly. It is a requirement.
How to make a DREAM JAR
From Roald Dahl’s book “The Big Friendly Giant”
• Use recycled glass jars or clear plastic bottles
• Fill the jar 1/2 way with a mixture of water and vegetable oil (don’t mix– in fact, try as you might, they will not mix together)
• Make your dream jar fabulous by adding food coloring and glitter
• For the finale, crush up Alka-Seltzer tablets and let your child drop in bits and pieces at a time… watch in wonder as your dreams bubble to life!
How to make Whipple Scrumptious Fudgemallow Delight
(From Roald Dahl’s Book “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”)
• Mix together ice-cream, chocolate, marshmallows and other delicious ingredients to create your own Whipple Scrumptious Fudgemallow Delight.
• You really can’t go wrong with this recipe, so have fun with it!
• Additional ingredients could include crushed cookies, sprinkles, and fresh fruit
• Eat it under the dinner table (on a picnic blanket) to really get into the silly spirit!
Build a Magical Fort
Inspired by Roald Dahl’s Character “Matilda”
• Using sheets, blankets, chairs, and close pins– construct a magical blanket fortress
• Make your fort glow with battery operated candles, and other twinkling objects
• Fill your fortress with books, drawing paper and crayons, and even listen to your favorite Roald Dahl book on audio
“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
— Roald Dahl
For more information on Roald Dahl day visit: ROALD DAHL DAY